So much has been done under the scrutinizing eyes of Swachh Bharat Missionbut that was enforced by the government policies and programmes. What we did for making our nation clean and to fulfill Mahatama Gandhi’s vision of clean India? Just a participation in a rally by holding brooms on Gandhi Jayanti.
As an individual we can contribute a lot to this mission and it is not a joke its true which is proved by Lauren Singer. Lauren Singer is a regular New Yorker with one key difference — a zero waste lifestyle. From year 2012 to 2016 all the trash thatLauren produced can fit within a 16 oz mason jar. According to lauren she recycled all the things she used and the jar contains only those things that cannot be recycled like the stickers on fruits and vegetables , the bits of plastic connecting the price tags on clothes
How Lauren reduced her waste and how you too can?
- 1. Foodpackaging is a major source of trash in most households, so the kitchen is a good place to start. Singer shops for grains, nuts, spices and tea at a grocery store that offers a bulk organic section, and brings her own jars and cloth bags.
- 2. She controlled her trash in fridge. I only go grocery shopping when I don’t have food left,” said Singer, which helps her to reduce food waste. She’s also spent some time learning about how to make produce stay fresh the longest. For example, putting your carrots and celery in water will keep them crisp.
- 3. Singer makes all her own cleaning supplies, including laundry detergent
- 4. She’s also dived into the world of making her own beauty products from just a few ingredients, like tea tree oil, coconut oil and green clay. She also sometimes buys makeup from companies that make organic products in fully recyclable packaging, like rms beauty.
- 5. She’s stopped buying clothes and now only shops second-hand. She makes all her own toiletries and only buys organic vegan beauty products.
- 6. She used bamboo toothbrushes instead of plastic ones as they are hard to recycle and decompose
- 7. She swapped shampoo for organic castile soap that comes in paper packing rather than plastic container.
- 8. She avoided using make up wipes and multiple cotton pads and used organic coconut oil and reusable cotton rounds instead.
- 9. She avoided using plastic straws and instead used metal straw of her own at restaurants.
By – Nursing Tutor – Deepika Kunj
Department of Nursing
College Of Nursing UCBMSH
Uttaranchal (P.G.) College Of Bio-Medical Sciences & Hospital