A selfie is a self-portrait photograph, typically taken with a smartphone which may be held in the hand or supported by a selfie stick. Selfies are often shared on social networking services.
It is closely related to Narcissism. Narcissism means an excessive interest in or admiration of oneself and one’s physical appearance.
American psychiatric association named this disorder as selfitis. And it is defined as the obsessive compulsive desire to take photos of one’s self and post them on social media as a way to make up for the lack of self-esteem and to fill a gap in intimacy.
Signs of selfitis include :
• Selfish – Narcissists act selfishly and, even if being generous, are generally only responsive to their own concerns
• No rules – Narcissists feel that they are above others and that the rules don’t apply to them
• Inability to take criticism– narcissists have an inflated idea of their own importance, they can be quickly deflated by negative criticism
• Unilateral listening– Instead of listening in order to respond, narcissists listen in order to dismiss, negate, ignore, minimize or otherwise make someone else’s concerns irrelevant
• Refusal to take responsibility– Narcissists have a tendency to blame others for things that go wrong
• Angriness– Narcissists may become easily angered by critical comments or being ordered what to do
Excessive use of social networking may be connected to psychiatric problems like depression, obsessive-compulsive disorder, addiction, body dysmorphia, narcissistic personality disorder, schizoaffective and schizotypal disorders, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder etc.