Introduction:- It is an outbreak of global proportions.It happens when a nobel virus emerges among humans.it causes serious illness and is easily human transmissible (spreads easily from person to person).It come from the greek word pandemos meaning pertaining people to people.
Definition:- A disease that spreads over a whole community or the whole world,it occur over a wide geographic area and affecting an exceptionally high proportion of the population.
Cause of pandemic disease:-
- It is usually caused by a new virus stain or subtype that become easily transmissible between humans
- By a bacteria that become resistant to antibiotic treatment.
- Pandemic emerges and spreads ,humans develop some immunity ,than the virus subtype can circulate among humans for several years ,causing several flu epidemics.
Some pandemic that have occurred includes:-
- Plague of Justinian
- Black death 1346-1350
- Cholera 1899-1923
- People today are more international mobile and more likely to live in cities ,than in the past ,which increase the risk of a virus spreading.
- Faster communication increases the risk of panic,and the chance that people who may be infected will travel in attempt to escape the disease.
- It can take months or years for a vaccine to become available ,because pandemic viruses are novel agents.
- Medical facilities would be overwhelmed ,and there could be shortage s of personnel to provide vital community service,due to both the demand and illness.
Prevention from pandemic diseases:-
- Less social mobilization
- Public health education
- Social change
- Hygiene maintenance
- Wash hands often
- Avoid any contact with animals.