Introduction:-Lifestyle diseases include atherosclerosis,heart disease stroke, obesity, type 2 diabetes and diseases associated with smoking and alcohol and drug abuse, sleep disorder. It is estimated that worldwide, approximately 14.2 million people between the age of 30 to 70 die every year due to lifestyle diseases.
Definition:-A disease that is caused due to the health damaging choices that we make in our day to day life. It is a medical condition or disorder regarded as being associated with the way in which a person lives, such as heart disease or obesity.
“Modern day habits have spawned an entire family of lifestyle diseases”
Some tips can help us managing lifestyle diseases:-
Tip 1:-A wholesome diet is absolutely essential for our health and well being. We have to acknowledge the fact that good health is all about taking charge and doing what”s right for your body.
- Eat more of green veggies,fresh fruits,calcium and fiber rich foods.
- Switch to whole grain/multigrain flour.
- Reduce your portion size and eat at regular intervels (every 2 hours).
- Eliminate or atleast try to limit the consumption of oily food.
- Replace junk food with healthy snacks.
- Drink plenty of water.
Tip 2:-It is essential to strike a perfect balance between food and physical activity.In order to keep our immune system active and functioning properly,an adult should participate in some or the other form of physical activity for a minimum of 30 minutes-5 days a week.There are many ways through which we can incorporate exercise in our daily routine.
- Take the stairs instead of lift and elevators.
- Walk from the bus stop to your home or office.
- Take your dog out for a walk daily.
- Always take a short walk after your meals.
Tip 3:-Any kind of addiction,whether it is of alcohol,nicotine or any other form of drug ,can ruin your health in the worst way possible
- Avoid alcohol intake
Tip 4:-Make sure we keep a close watch on our body weight. Extra weight especially near the tummy has been linked with cardiovascular deaths.People who are obese and overweight are also at risk for many more serious health conditions like sleep neap, diabetes and cancer.
- Manage your weight by eating low calorie,fat free food.
- Incorporate some form of workout in your daily routine.
Tip 5:-Anything in excess is bad for health.High intake of sugar ,salt,and oil can lead to serious repercussions in the form of diabetes,blood pressure and heart problem.
- Cut down the usage of these 3 ingredients i.e. oil,salt and sugar in your food.
Tip 6:-We should take good care of our body-it’s the only place where we live in.Periodic health check-ups can offer a through analysis of our current health status.Moreover ,it also helps in early diagnosis and timely treatment of any kind of illness.
- Schedule an appointment for a comprehensive health check-up once in every 6 months .